Strategic design for actual and future needs in the urban context.
The city is one of humanity's most important inventions and it is facing basic challenges for the
future in the 21st century.
Against this backdrop, design is an essential tool for improving the social, cultural and economic fabric of the urban contexts in which we live.
Through a knowledge and understanding of past and present urban environments and by projecting for the future, we can design new proposals that adapt to the changes that the future holds with those people living in and managing them.
The main areas of work covered are:
- Sustainability: design for sustainable development
- Social Inclusion: empowering citizens to confront social challenges
- Governance: cooperation, e-democracy, open data, transparency
- Mobility design to solve the challenges of urban mobility
- Safe cities design to contribute to the safety of people
The future urban design specialist can:
- Conduct research into places and people, analysing and understanding the physical, social, political and economic context of spaces and users.
- Manage and visualise data to provide accurate diagnoses about situations and make well-informed decisions.
- Help citizens to participate actively in transforming their urban environments, developing critical judgments and transferring their opinions to technicians and elected officials, empowering them to take a shared responsibility in decision-making.
- Promote and preserve the city´s own identity.
- Optimise the city´s efficiency: accessibility, exchange, plurality and coexistence for balanced, harmonious growth or renovation and to improve the living conditions of all citizens.
- Create distinct urban identities, contributing to preserve heritage and building future city models committed to the democratic values of a respect for interculturality and sustainable, solidarity.
Competències per a les que et prepara el curs
IED Master Barcelona general skills:
Creative entrepreneurial and leadership skills
Ethical, social and sustainable commitment skills
Specific Course Skills:
Ability to analyse critically the urban environment
Ability to diagnose strategically urban environments
Ability to plan strategic solutions for urban environments
Ability to act as an interlocutor and mediator in urban environments
Ability to generate and implement solutions in the urban environment